|Bond falls, Upper Peninsula, Michigan|
1. Coming Clean about My Prayer Life - I'm struggling with my prayer life over here. I try to get have a prayer time before work each day, but I cut my time short by sleeping too late or checking email on my phone. Ugh. When I do sit down to pray my mind wanders. I read some scripture and a psalm but have no idea what I've even read. It's like in one ear, and out the other. I use Magnificat and In Conversation with God reflections, but feel like I never get deeper than reading the Gospel, a meditation, and offering up a few intentions to God. I want to go deeper with God. At other times in life I have had a more fruitful prayer life, but right now I feel stuck. I recently decided to get to daily mass a few more times a week, so hopefully that will help.
2. A Rule of Thumb for Prayer - A priest shared a simple suggestion for making time for God. He suggested starting with 15 minutes of prayer each day. After two weeks increase that by 5 minutes for two more weeks. Then, slowly add a few minutes each week until I get to one minute of prayer, for how many years old I am. For me that is 32. While 32 minutes is not much time when it comes to spending time in prayer, for me this seems like a long time. I know it is something I can do, but I'm going to need lots of grace.
3. Prayer for Vocations - We visited a parish out of town. In the pews was a beautiful holy card with a prayer for vocations. The prayer is below. I love how it asks God for an increase in religious vocations and also mentions married and single vocations. I was reminded that marriage is an important vocation, with or without children.
A Prayer for Vocations
4. Packer Game - I am a MAJOR Packer fan. When I was twelve I wrote in to have my name added to the season ticket waiting list. My name should come up in my mid-fifties, which is awesome (At this point, those whose names are added now will pass away before becoming season ticket holders). A few weeks ago, Mike and I got a last minute chance to buy Packers tickets from a friend. We went to our first game together at Lambeau Field. It was a great day and a great game!
6. Milestones - As we celebrate our sixth anniversary, we are also marking five years trying to conceive. This is a weird milestone. It feels surreal. Five years ago I never ever thought, in a million years, that we would reach this point and still be childless. Thankfully we are making some progress on adoption, but there is still an ache deep within (sometimes it feels physical) to bear children.
7. Wisdom from the Ages - Mike and I visit our hospital once a month and bring communion to Catholic patients. Last month as we were visiting with a dear lady and I complimented her on how young she looked (She was in her early 70s). She responded that her secret was to stay positive. She said that life was too short to get depressed about things that go wrong. Staying positive kept her young. What a dear lady! So thankful for her words of wisdom!
Bonus: Our home-study home visit is this upcoming week. It's our last social worker meeting! Also, we encountered another potential adoption delay, and are deciding how to proceed in response to it. We need prayers for direction. Hope to have an update and more news soon.
Thanks for stopping by. Have a blessed weekend!